LSU police to charge ten people in death of fraternity pledge

The East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner's Office said an autopsy on 18-year-old LSU student Maxwell Gruver

Gruver's death has been ruled an accident.

Last week, police investigators said they found Gruver had died after playing a game that fraternity members called Bible Study, in which pledges are quizzed about the fraternity and are ordered to drink if they give the wrong answers.

A freshman fraternity pledge at Louisiana State University who died last month was intoxicated six times over the state's legal limit, a medical examiner said Wednesday.

Nearly all of the suspects identified by LSU - a group that includes eight current students and mostly active frat members - will be booked on the misdemeanor charge of hazing. One faces an additional charge of negligent homicide.

One suspect, Matthew Naquin, is charged with negligent homicide, which could carry a five-year prison sentence.

The East Baton Rouge Coroner's Office said student Maxwell Gruver had a blood alcohol level of.495 at the time of his death.

Gruver died at a hospital after Phi Delta Theta members found him lying on a couch at the fraternity house and couldn't tell if he was breathing.

"The LSU Police Department has communicated with the Gruver family throughout the investigation process, and the university has also been in touch with them regarding today's arrests", Ballard said Wednesday in a statement.

Gruver and other Phi Delta Theta pledges received a group text message September 13 that "Bible Study" would take place that night at 10 p.m.at the chapter house, an exercise where pledges were asked questions about the fraternity and forced to drink if they answered incorrectly, according to an LSU Police search warrant filed in court last week.

The death has unfolded in the midst of an increased scrutiny on drinking behavior and fraternity culture on college campuses that has been prompted by a few high-profile hazing deaths.

A coroner said hospital tests found a "highly elevated" blood-alcohol level in Gruver's body. According to a report in the school's student newspaper, The Daily Reveille, the chapter had been suspended a year earlier as the university investigated a previous complaint about hazing.

LSU police said that several other interviews of witnesses "indicated that the pledges were forced to drink in excess".

Related News:

Most liked

Trump Won't Get Royal Welcome During UK Visit
The Foreign Office said a State Visit, which is seen by MPs as being on indefinite hold, would go ahead at some stage. If Trump's trip is a working visit, he will likely stay at the US ambassador's residence, according to the Standard.

Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (WBA) - Hot Stock Assessment
This repurchase authorization permits the pharmacy operator to repurchase up to 5.9% of its shares through open market purchases. In the most updated research from a number of analysts on Wall Street, the company gets 17 Buys and 0 Sell among 25 analysts.

Chelsea reprimand Charly Musonda
Per MailOnline's Andy Warren , his brother Lamisha Musonda was one of many who replied to the post, taking a shot at the Blues . If the lads didn't come and get me I don't know what would have happened.

Ronan Farrow says his Harvey Weinstein investigation could have aired on NBC
Oppenheim said that NBC didn't feel the story as presented by Farrow this summer had all the elements needed for airing. After Farrow took the story to The New Yorker , Oppenheim said he "greatly expanded" his reporting.

Arcus Capital Partners LLC Decreases Stake in American Airlines Group Inc (AAL)
Now we see the performance from the period beginning the first day of the current calendar or fiscal year up to the current date. Prudential Public Limited Liability reported 0.02% of its portfolio in American Airlines Group Inc (NASDAQ: AAL ).

Apple CEO Tim Cook Says AR Glasses Aren't Ready for Primetime
If I were a French student and I were 10 years old, I think it would be more important to learn coding than English. Cook also expressed scepticism about the AR shopping experiences being proposed by some retailers and tech firms.

Korean lawmaker says N. Korea hacked war plans
Air Force B-1B bombers were joined by two F-15K fighters from the South Korean military after leaving their base in Guam. Guam, from where the B-1 bombers in Tuesday drills departed, has been a particular target of North Korean threats.

County officials vote to repeal Chicago-area soda tax
Store owners, drink companies and bottlers all battled the tax. They have until November 30 to approve a budget. Healthy Food America's executive director Dr.

ON Semiconductor Corporation (ON) Receives Average Recommendation of "Buy" from Brokerages
California State Teachers Retirement Sys stated it has 0.02% of its portfolio in Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ:CY). By taking a look at the stock's current statistics it can gauged that the stock candle is BEARISH with MEDIUM volatility.

Trump refutes NBC story, suggests challenging its broadcasting license
On some days, the majority of the tweets fluttering from the Oval Office focus on the press . The President's denial was buttressed by a statement from his defence chief.

Officer Plans To Appeal Firing In Nurse Arrest
Wubbels' attorney, Karra Porter, said the detective's termination is not a surprise to anyone who watched the body cam footage. They questioned why the police department took action against Payne only after the bodycam footage was released to the public.

Third Frisco resident infected with West Nile virus
Charity Dean said in a statement. "Mosquito season in OH lasts until the first freeze which is not usually until mid-October". The Ohio Department of Health is reporting a total of 22 human cases of West Nile virus across the state.

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Trailer Unveiled At Soldier Field
Just watched the new trailer of The Last Jedi and my mom looks more handsome than ever. It's been nearly one year since the world mourned the death of Carrie Fisher .

Over 37000 Chrome Users Installed a Fake AdBlock Plus Extension
It also provides instructions for anyone who is concerned that they may have a malicious version of the extension installed. This can not be dismissed as a stand-alone case, when it comes to fake apps in the Chrome web store.

Will Fiorentina continue the fight?
Another 16 goals brought Lorenzo Insigne, 13 goals went from Jose Callejon and 11 from Marek Hamšík. Forecasts Bookmakers consider Napoli as the main favorite - the coefficient for the victory of the hosts is 1.28.